Friday, 2 August 2013

Osteospermum

What's an Osteospermum? Just about the most photogenic flower on the planet. As soon as I saw one I had to go out and buy them to plant out and photograph, of course.




Osteo means bone in Greek but to me the petals look like fingers.
From Wikipaedia: The scientific name is derived from the Greek osteon (bone) and Latin spermum (seed). It has been given several common names: African daisy, South African daisy, Cape daisy and blue-eyed daisy.



By the way, now that I have come out of the closet, so to speak, and started this blog please be gentle in your comments. I know I have a long way to go while I strive for photographic perfection *cough*but  my main aim is to share a hobby I love.

I have learnt that when getting close to the subject it is very hard to get the balance of composition and focus just right. The orchids in particular, having such a variety of depth to the flowers, left me thinking that no close up would ever do them justice. The more I learn the more I am sometimes frustrated. I have to remind myself that this is something that gives me 'yippee' moments..

Thanks, Val.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Val, It is a great idea of yours to start up a separate blog for your photography. I am into photography also so I will make sure I pop in regularly to see what you have been shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the osteospermum! I discovered it when I worked at a greenhouse several years ago now. I particularly love the variety with the spoon shaped flower petals.

    Did you use a macro lens for these shots?

    ReplyDelete