Thursday, 16 January 2014

The old jetty and moonrise



I had the day off mid week. I went to the dentist. I came home and washed windows and curtains, because I knew they would dry in the heat. In the afternoon I went for a drive down my favourite stretch of coast, to a place I had not explored closely before. Below a lookout you can glimpse the remains of a jetty built in the late 1800's to transport coal from the train to ocean vessels.

I have researched the history of the Coaldale Jetty, as it was called then.. In the late 1800's a coalmine was built in Coledale. Coal was big business here and the nearby mine was very busy but it was plagued by trouble - water in the mines, landslides, the large coal ships being buffeted by winds and set adrift. The mine was closed the reopened with a new name as North Bulli Coalmine, but eventually closed again.

Then the jetty was no longer used, left to rot and in 1915 someone burnt it down. The place has an eery ambience to it ... which is what led to my research. I wanted to find out what happened there. There is a nearby camping site, full of relaxation and joy but around the scarp, between these stumps of concrete and rock, the mournful history blows on the wind.

But it is a great place for photos and I knew the moon would rise somewhere over the ocean..


















I was looking everywhere but where the moon rose and I almost missed it. 

Linked to  Weekend Reflections, go check them out!

Happy weekend,

Val.


18 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos Val. The remains of the old jetty are very attractive subject matter and you do it so well. And the moon shot is absolutely brilliant! Well done!! Soon you will have to give lessons to we amateurs who read your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting story accompanied by photos to match. Not to mention a beautiful girl and the moon at the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very scenic shots - like all the different perspectives

    ReplyDelete
  4. How striking that second photo is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your beach pictures are amazing ! I specially enjoy the one with the wave breaking on the rocks, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are fantastic...and the shot of moon is fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic shots ~ and great moon shot for WER ~ carol, xxx (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning pics of this place - partly eerie, but mostly beautiful! Especially when the moon rises:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all. It's only the second time in my life I was excited about a photo shoot, knowing I had something good. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos! The crashing waves look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb photos. An artist would have felt honoured to have painted them !x

    ReplyDelete
  12. An interesting history of a few old ruins, who would have thought. I vaguely remember the coal mines back in the 50's. I used to visit a friend at Otford and the beach at Austinmere.??not sure how its spelt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks diane. The coal mines are still there just not in that particular spot. The whole area is built on coal seams. The beach at Austinmer is still lovely but increasingly popular with tourists, too busy at times! For photography I prefer the lesser known places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a nice place for great photography. Love your shots. :)

    ReplyDelete