Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Zygopetalum Mackayi



Years ago I bought a little orchid at a stall outside a supermarket at the local shopping centre when I was living up north in Queensland. Later a colleague who is very much into orchids told me it is relatively rare, difficult to get to flower and originally came from Southern Brazil. All I know is that it is beautiful, tempermental, flowers once every three years or so or when it feels like it, has an unusual combination of colours and a lovely subtle scent.



It lives on my balcony in the shade of some other plants. It's loving the strange warm steamy rainy Autumn we are having..

Have a good week,
Val.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful orchid and beautiful picture, Val. I remember my Dad growing this orchid, but don't remember its name. Very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whar a mouthful of a name, but it had a beauty to deserve such a name.

    ReplyDelete