Monday, 23 June 2014

Mid Winter


Katoomba, a small town in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney holds a Festival on the winter solstice every year to celebrate the shortest day. It used to be small, a bit of a hippie/alternative thing but it has become something of a yearly tourist attraction and draws a large crowd. I went there as part of my Street Photography meetup group.












There was certainly something for everyone. After the parade there were stalls with handcrafts to look at, music, dancing in the streets and lots of characters in costume willing to be photographed...

It was an experience!

Val.


8 comments:

  1. An interesting collection of people and photos - must be lovely place :-)

    PS For some reason Blogger wouldn't let me comment with a Google account - Rune E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rune. I don't know why you could not comment. I have not changed anything at this end! On Katoomba yes it is a place known for it's slightly hippy/eccentric vibe. It was a very happy festival!

      Delete
  2. How colourful and lively! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val. It was a very colourful event.

      Delete
  3. Katoomba is an interesting part of the Blue Mountains, but I have never heard of the Winter Solstice festival. What fun it looks, and your have captured lots of interesting costumes and faces.
    Off topic, but is something weird happening in Blogger? My Dashboard only shows one other blog at a time, the most recently posted, and the "View more" button won't work. Everything OK at your end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are your problems only with this blog or blogger in general? The only thing I have done lately is delete some old photos from another internet website but that should not affect anything here. Mysterious.

      Delete
    2. No, not your blog Val, it is blogger in general. Over the post 24 hours I have found comments from numerous bloggers, here and overseas. Everyone using blogger can only see the one blog on their reading lists, just the most recently published. Not my fault, seems to be one of Blogger's occasional weird times.

      Delete
  4. The perfect venue for street photography. You sure got some great shots! In response to your question re the horse and rider on my sidebar. Yes, that is my photo. It's granddaughter riding.

    ReplyDelete