Friday, 24 October 2014

Purple Reflections


Hi Everyone,

My homework for my photo group has been to photograph a purple flower and I have experimented with photographing everything from petunias to thistles and in my quest to get a unique photo of this little purple daisy I ended up with a reflection of the mosaic table on my balcony.


I know the photo features the glass vase more than the flower and this exercise has taught me to look at flowers from more angles than you could imagine but how do you get something that is truly different?

I know I am not the first person to zoom in, and certainly not the first to be fascinated by light as it shines through, in or behind the petals... so my quest continues.


On the subject of purple, I was in the city yesterday to get a dose of art and current exhibitions and while I was exploring the 'arty' end of town I saw this great mural.


I don't know if she is about to start dancing or fighting but it sure brightened her end of the street.

Have a good weekend,

Val.

15 comments:

  1. that's great,,, the glass vase reflected the rest of your balcony... However mazing subject of purple...

    Have a lovely weekend too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great glass vase reflection. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The witch looks awesome ! Anf I like your vase composition ; the color of the glass is so neat !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely series.. I too really enjoyed your first photo of the flower in the vase with the reflections of the table. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely purple post, Val. The first photo is stunning - even better if you got it from happenstance!
    Street art girl is a sassy one, and well captured too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't choose the thistle - the daisy was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The purple daisy - is it an Osteosperium? looks lovely in the glass vase and shines like a little purple star on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all.
    Tsuki I don't think she is a witch but a genie escaped from the bottle..
    Rosemary, I am not sure if it a osteospermum, certainly it is similar. I picked it as I walked past someone's garden, much of the bush was poking out through their fence :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you've captured the purple flowers really well. the vase is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the mural very much. The flowers are good too. Have you thought of cutting off part of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'd done a close crop but did not post that photo as it is part of an assignment for my photo group. It makes me want to get a 100mm lens...

      Delete
  11. You may be interested in this article that i wrote for our camera club.http://loganu3alessonnotes.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/photographing-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got a chance to read your excellent article. Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete