Saturday, 13 June 2015

Cootamundra Wattle


If winter in Australia has a scent, it is the warm honeyed smell of the wattle tree. It reminds me of winter sunshine. The perfume is subtle and the flowering of this particular wattle tree is short lived, just a few weeks, then other varieties of wattle bloom and there are fuzzy yellow flowers through until spring.

I have a Cootamundra Wattle Acacia baileyana tree in a pot on my balcony and I took a sprig and put it in a vase, set up my camera and tripod and set about trying to capture these little puffs of yellow.



I had an unexpected visitor..





He posed for a while then decided he'd modelled for long enough and hid away.



These shots are about as detailed as I can get with my 24-70mm lens.
After much thinking - and saving - I have lashed out and ordered a dedicated 100mm macro lens. I'll be a while before it gets here, because it was less expensive to get it over the internet but it's a thing of beauty and it will be worth the wait.

Hope you are having a good weekend,
Val.

10 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, exquisite colors, wonderful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leovi. When it comes to colourful you are the master!

      Delete
  2. I love a wattle too - but alas, do not own one. How wonderful to have one in a pot, and what exquisite photos you have taken. Can't wait to see what you do with the new macro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I bought this particular variety of wattle because it does not make me sneeze!

      Delete
  3. I have always found wattle hard to photograph but these shots are good. Good luck with your new macro lens. I'm still trying to use mine successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane - it's the fuzziness of those tiny flowers. I had to focus on a central spot then crop the final photos.

      Delete
  4. I think I saw some of these trees in Queensland last year. With honeyeaters in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some cockatoos trying to eat mine so Im not surprised!

      Delete
  5. It is always interesting to see flowers and plants, not to mention insects, from very different parts of the world. That luscious, yellow colour looks very exotic to me - and not wintry at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing alpine snow and frost on flowers on northern hemisphere blogs..I have a feeling our winter is like your spring when it comes to temperatures.

      Delete