Friday, 17 July 2015

New Experiences


Last weekend I went to the country towns of Bathurst and Mudgee with a friend. I have seen relatively little of inland Australia and I wanted to see 'the outback'. Now while these towns certainly don't qualify for that description which is short for 'out the back of nowhere' they were certainly a change from Sydney and I want to do it again! I want to go further and see Broken Hill and the desert then go north to see Kakadu. One day.

In the meantime, after spending the weekend and photographing the old gold rush towns of Hill End and Sofala, we headed home over the tableland and through the Blue Mountains via Lithgow and what did we see but snow. SNOW! It is a once every two or three decades event to see snow like this - it's very rare here. We drove through it. The car had no anti-freeze so there was no stopping but I took these at low speed from the passenger seat. We were lucky to get through, the roads were closed for a time yesterday as the the snow had continued all week.


Sydney siders don't get to drive in snow as a rule, so only those with four wheel drives were brave enough to pull over to have a play..


Everyone slowed down to get a good look. Snow on gum trees!



It's snowing it's snowing!



Then as we wound our way further down the road the snow was replaced by spatters of rain.


My own reflection.

I'll put up some photos of the gold rush days next week,

Have a good weekend,

Val.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Val, I have been looking forward to seeing your snow pics, and they are wonderful. Snow on Gum trees - something I have never see, and probably never well. What an unusual week it has been, and a 30 year event of snow at Stanthorpe here - only 3 hours from me. Astonishing! You did well, hanging out the window. They are very special photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll freeze or get wet to take photographs!

      Delete
  2. Burr! Snow is Austalia, well I never. I wonder do they even have a warm coat! Fabulous selfie reflection. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all the thermals and long boots that I bought in the UK ;)

      Delete
  3. I hope you enjoyed the experience! Driving on snow is very difficult without proper tires - but one get used to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know about special tires and I'd never heard of black ice! The two 'arctic vortex' weather patterns have passed and it's turning back to our normal mild winters - slowly!

      Delete
  4. It sure is amazing snow not far from Sydney. You were lucky to get through with summer tyres. Great shots from the car. Mudgee is one of my favourite country towns. They make good wine there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had lunch by the fire in the big Irish pub in Mudgee. I am looking forward to getting out into the country again.

      Delete
  5. Its' been very cold here too, I've half expected it to snow, even though it normally doesn't although there have been a few days when I've had to pour jugs of water on my car wind screen to shift the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure like to see some snow right now. (and by the way, there are all watching an approaching Kavadi attam dance ('burden' dance I think) at the annual Thaipusam festival)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wong Ching Wah, Thanks for visiting my blog! Good to know what the people in your photo were seeing.

      Delete