Saturday, 19 September 2015

London - The Shard



London, part two.

While I was in London last month, getting over the long long flight from Australia and trying to stay awake through jet lag I took the opportunity to visit The Shard.

It was still being built in 2011 when I was a frequent visitor to London's sights. I had to go go up now it was finished! The cost was more expensive than I expected View from the Shard info but seeing I'd just flown in a circle around half the earth I paid and up I went. The great thing is you are allowed to take photographs. It occurred to me later that it would have been also be quite something at night..




There are other towers of glass nearby. Photographed going up the escalator after exiting The Shard


Amazing architecture - from within


A couple engrossed in looking at the pointy bit



The views are spectacular




I like the shard, the space age jaggedness of it and the fact that the top of it looks a bit like the prongs that hold Eye of Sauron in the Lord of the Rings trilogy..





More London pics to come. I took more than I thought!
Have a good week,
Val.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I haven't heard of The Shard,(clearly have not been paying attention). What a fabulous looking building, amazing views, and as always, Really Good Photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been up there, but your comparison looks very apt :-)
    I, too would have liked the view at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very happy you went up there to show us the view of London Bridge Valerie, now I won't have to go up :) would be too hard with my height phobia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace it's all enclosed. It doesn't feel as high up as it is, the open air view from the top of Westminster Cathedral is actually more thrilling from a physical perspective!

      Delete
  4. I'm very happy you went up there to show us the view of London Bridge Valerie, now I won't have to go up :) would be too hard with my height phobia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see people so engrossed in the architecture of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Architecture is a secret passion of mine.

      Delete