Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Sea Creatures



I love the sea. In particular I love 'my' bit of coastline that hugs the wondrous sea. Over the weekend just gone we had five unseasonably warm days of summer heat and a public holiday had myself and many others going to the beach to bathe in the sea. I took some photos on the way home.







I was lucky not to have been stung by this critter, the Bluebottle jellyfish. It has a very painful sting. By the way, it's proper name is the Indo-Pacific Portugese Man-O-War of the species Physalia utriculus.  

I also did not know that warm water is said to be a good remedy.

Any Aussie kid who grows up near the coast knows about bluebottles and to avoid them and not  even touch the supposedly dead ones. I have been stung while swimming and I can tell you it's not an experience easily forgotten. If  see them in the water I get out!

Common cures for the sting include rubbing sand on them, applying vinegar, urinating on them - never tried that one (!)  but apparently hot water as long as it is above body temperature and not unbearably hot works best according to the NSW Ambulance Association  To Pee or Not to Pee article, Daily Telegraph 
Don't say my blog never teaches you anything! I think I'd rather pour the last dregs of warm coffee on the sting :)) than use pee.





Seagulls leave dance steps on the beach in the fading light.


Time for all good critters to go home...




Happy photography,

Val.



14 comments:

  1. Never seen one of these bluebottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revrunner, they are not always present and you can go for weeks without seeing any of them then the tide will bring in a swarm. We have lots of dangerous creatures here - Red Back spiders, Funnel Web spiders, sharks and snakes. It's amazing any of us survive!

      Delete
  2. Ouch they sting badly. Must remember the remedies. Always thought it was vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tempting beaches, but If I ever get to Australia I will stay way clear of the water :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely photos! I got stung by a jellyfish in Florida...not a pleasant experience...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch!! Fantastic reflections and guls. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! I can hear the beach calling my name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the blue jellyfish looks like glass. I thought it was some kind of litter. Don´t seem to be a nice one :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I have heard the pee theory before Valerie hope I never have to try it out either :) How lucky we are to live by the sea, beautiful images here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I have heard the pee theory before Valerie hope I never have to try it out either :) How lucky we are to live by the sea, beautiful images here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard of meat tenderizer being useful to relieve the sting, but who carries that to the seashore?

    ReplyDelete