Saturday, 23 April 2016

Cheeky Cockatoos


Hello! I recently read this post on 500px on the-best-ways-to-invest-in-your-money-for-photography
The author recommended amongst other things investing in your own knowledge, hanging out with photo buddies, getting honest critique of your work and buying a prime lens. As it happens, I am already doing a lot of that but I got out my 100mm lens which has gone neglected for a while and took it out for some experimental shooting throughout the morning.

I took these shots of cockatoos feeding near my home. They let me get fairly close and kept a wary eye on me as they continued eating and drinking. They do love to eat and will eat just about anything with seeds or wood. I know this because they ate my friend's wooden verandah railings. She lives in a bushland setting in the Blue Mountains and had a lot of cockatoos eating the birdseeds she left out, but then they proceeded to eat the verandah. She had to get it replaced and no longer leaves bird seed out. In her words 'the little $#!%$' can fend for themselves!










I love how they use their claws as hands. They are raucous and noisy and I'm quite fond of them but I have metal railings on my balcony ;)

Have a good weekend,
Val.


8 comments:

  1. cute story about the birds...I too would stop feeding them if they started eating my house! Great to be able to catch their reflection in the puddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, might be a good reason to build your house out of metal, too, or at least brick. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of that happening, where the birds eat the house. My prime lens doesn't get much work out. They do make a crisp shot but one has to get in close. You were lucky cocky didn't mind having a camera in its face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha - Thanks!
    Revrunner - hes, brick and metal!
    diane b - They were in my face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they are funny birds aren't they. We have a love/hate relationship with them, and they come here every day. A few years ago they managed to eat away the wood of the bird perch which holds the bird feeder. I mean, there are sunflower seeds to eat, but they still enjoy destroying something just for fun! And don't get me started on what they do to succulents. Anyway, great lively shots of these pesky Aussie guys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Gorgeous as they are they can be a real pest..they used to attack my mother's cyprus trees when they were in seed but then they'd shred quite a few of the branches off as well. Have you got a cat? ;)

      Delete
  6. I wish I had lovlies like these to pose for me. All that I see out my window are sparrows and crows! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have crows here too but they are not so co-operative!

      Delete