Thursday, 26 May 2016

The Outhouse

When I was a kid a lot of Sydney houses had outdoor toilets. Ours had a semi detached laundry as well. Some of my earliest memories are of the red brick outhouse with a faded red wood paling door. It was a tall and narrow spider infested place with a big white cistern and a long chain. There was a small window with cut glass louvres way up high. A pitchfork, a spade and a hoe that also seemed huge  to me were propped against the wall. Our back yard was a wonderland of fruit trees and vegetable beds. Bags of fertiliser stored in the outhouse along the wall added a pungent smell. Sometimes lizards crept in under the door and frogs croaked in the shadowy area between the outside wall and the fence. Then dad  built an extension to the the house and added an indoor toilet. Lets just say it was a relief to all.

I took this photo outside the outhouse of a inner city cafe situated in a century's old workers cottage.It brought back memories. Now the novelty of it makes it retro cool!



Have a good weekend,
Val.

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this posting. Brings back memories to read about other times. I thought I was the only one with an outhouse as a child! Ours had an apple tree and bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nora. No bears here. That would be really scary!

      Delete
  2. Nice nostalgic shot. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah! I can see that becoming all the rage here. Soon every "luxury apartment" will have to have one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do have timber panelling and olde worlde hand basins. That's as far as it goes though :)

      Delete
  4. I love the photo! Your childhood outhouse sounds like quite the adventure especially at night. I've always been spoiled with indoor plumbing, no regrets. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least ours never had a visiting snake. That happened to friends of mine living on acreage in the Queensland bush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly more charming that that of your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there was electricity in this one!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Leovi! thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. I would never imagine outhouses in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have some history Tom ;) even though it is brief compared to Europe and the US

      Delete