Friday, 5 August 2016

A cloudy day by the sea

Sometimes, even mid winter, even in the rain, I need to go to the sea, I buy some fish and chips and throw the leftovers to the raucous seagulls. It brings a tranquility to my soul. These days, taking a camera adds to the experience.  In fact I find it hard to go out for a day without one  :)

On my way south I did not plan to stop at either end of the Sea Cliff Bridge but driving through I caught a glimpse of a different angle, a sort of snap shot in my head, so I parked at the southern end and walked back. There's parking at either end of the bridge because the walk has become an unexpected tourist attraction. The bridge itself is a thing of sinuous  beauty, but I wanted a more close up approach. The clouds were grey and the winter sea was surging against the rocks but luckily it wasn't raining.

I was experimenting with different shutter speeds to capture some of that sea action and the sun occasionally gave a backlit brightness to the clouds. My shots are not technically 'there' yet but I had a 'aha' moment at the southern end of that bridge about light and shutter speeds and the need for a neutral density filter that would allow me to take some photos at slower speeds without the white out effect that appears at the edge of some of these shots. Of course for slower shutter speeds you also need a tripod but I tried a variety of speeds hand held to see how far I could push it. The conclusion:  The experts are right, but at least now I understand why. I'll be back - later.

Meantime I hope you enjoy the mood of the shots and the reflection of a little swift that was dipping in and out of the sea water.

Click on photos to enlarge.










Have a good weekend,
Val.



10 comments:

  1. The pictures have a beautiful atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your efforts resulted in very artful images. Loved the perspectives on the bridge shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots of an intriguing bridge - I've never heard of it before, but can see why it attracts attention. Love the sound of fish and chips by the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the post very much. My favourite must be the third one with the wave and just a hint of the bridge - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! The inevitable love lock. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, like a rash ;) They are banned on the bridge and are cut off by the council but a few optimistic souls have snuck them onto the chicken wire on the embankment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place for a drive! Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys. it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete