Saturday, 20 August 2016

Moonlight on water.


It's long been a goal of mine to take a good moon-in-a landscape shot.. (still is actually)..That dratted beautiful moon. It's shiny and it moves and it rises from the horizon so fast (at least in these latitudes). As with most landscapes it is very hard to get all of a landscape in focus. The classic idea is to focus roughly one third of the way in towards the horizon, then another third of the way up and then another and in editing software stack two or three photos to get that calendar quality.

I did none of that, I found a simpler way.

I took my favourite moon over the lake water shot and combined it with my best detailed moon shot from the same shoot and combined them by copying the moon (lasso, paste, content-aware move tool) and pasting it onto the other photo in photoshop (then lasso the original moon, edit/fill - content aware/black). Much easier than mucking about with layers.


This and this


equals this.


Hopefully, if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't even know. 
Have a good weekend,
Val.



12 comments:

  1. That is the way to do it :-)
    Or you could try HDR (three to five shots with different exposure laid on top of each other),

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rune. I have experimented with HDRa little bit but I was running out of light!

      Delete
  2. Well, okay! More than one way to. . . uhm. . . skin a moonshot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, okay! More than one way to. . . uhm. . . skin a moonshot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love taking pics of the moon. It's just nice to be outside and spend time with nothing better to do than say hi to the moon. This overlay is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow great job! I need to learn some tricks like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful end result, Val, and no, I would never have known if you had not told us your technique. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever processing. I haven't a clue with photoshop but I'm learning Lightroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not have noticed the picture editing if you had not been told. Really beautiful moon light.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete