Friday, 21 October 2016

Bird no 22


Hi everyone. I love art and there was an exhibition running at the art gallery I had  wanted to see but thought I had missed Frida Kahlo and diego Rivera :: Art Gallery NSW but then it got extended, so I grabbed the chance to see it and have a day out around Sydney doing some of the things I love best - the art gallery and botanical gardens, eating Asian food and taking photos when I did not know I was going to, the  iphone7 got another work out.

I am glad I didn't miss the exhibition, it is wonderful with historic photos and paintings by both artists.





 I did not fully appreciate Frida Kahlo's talent until I got a close look at her work.

The stairway between the floors of the art gallery has this lovely bank of coloured windows, good for selfies and sneaky shots of other visitors.


Afterward, with my head spinning with art, I took a walk down to the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney


Tree ferns.


A goldfish photobombed my shot.


Fern fronds against the striated ceiling.


Swamp Orchids 


Fabulously weird looking cactuses


A tropical pond 


Ibis no 22

The Australian White Ibis - a previously inland bird now becoming a pest in the cities See ibis invasion



On the way back I stopped for noodles at the Night Noodle Markets in Hyde Park. They start early and go late with all sorts of Asian food available from about a hundred stalls.



Then it was through the Queen Victoria building. Coffee.




Have a good weekend,
Val.

10 comments:

  1. A great city to spend time wandering. You found some special places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it to the Freida exhibition. I'd love to see it but probably won't get down there; I am a big fan of her work, and also find Diego Rivera very interesting. I watched the Freida movie (again) on the plane home from Dubai. What great pics of the Botanic Gardens, such creative shots. Ibis No 22 makes me smile. They are such pests around here, maybe they need numbers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia. I haven't seen the Frida move, must remedy that!

      Delete
  3. I have found the art and life of Frida Kahlo fascinating for many years, and would love to have been able to visit this exhibition. She is one of the few women that I am aware of that was able to embrace her facial hair, and in fact often even exagerated it in her paintings - most of us would run a mile looking the nearest exfoliator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently when she was young her beauty used to stop people in their tracks on the street. The more I saw of her paintings and the photographs the more I became convinced it was part of her creation of herself as a work of art, a deliberative vehicle along with the flowers and bright clothes. She must have been a fascinating person.

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous of your entire day! I love Frieda and Rivera - what a treat to see their work in person. And the gardens - my DH farmed green plants in Central America, and before I met him, he traveled all over NZ and Australia collecting specimens and documenting native plants. The Botanical Garden in Sydney is famous! And I love your Ibis (even if he's a problem). We have herds of them here! and I like the way they look standing in a swale full of foliage. Great post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the fern house there are plaques that tell the story of travelling Victorian botanists that were very taken with Australian tree ferns! How wonderful that your DH did this too. I am glad you liked reading about my day. I don't get to explore the nooks and crannies of the Botanic Gardens nearly enough.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos! My favorites are the stairway and the bottom one with the reflection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks everyone. James I thought you would like the coffee machine reflection ;)

      Delete