Thursday, 10 November 2016

Sydney Architectural Reflections


Hello fellow bloggers,
Last weekend Sydney Living Museums had its annual Open Day. I bought a ticket that allowed access to over 50 Sydney buildings, then visited them camera in hand. I only got to about seven and I wish the time had not been restricted to between 10am to 4 pm. The top of my list was one of the three new towers that dominate the skyline at Barangaroo (below) and it did not disappoint.





Inside Tower two, level 41.



The whole area used to be shipyards where they had container docks.


My new office haha.
Below is the atrium of Macquarie Bank offices, 1 Martin Place. The exterior is heritage listed but the interior is a purple extravaganza.





Modern (above) linked to old (below)



I went on to more buildings until they sort of started to bend in together. This is a view of a new complex at 333 George Street, still being built (below).



Then to 1 Farrer Place with the most iconic views of all. That's my big a$$ reflection in the opposite building. I am not really bigger than The Opera House.




 Looking down toward the Sydney Botanic Gardens and the Domain on a perfect blue Sydney day.


Reflected construction (above)




Lastly, even though the quay side of Sydney and the city centre has to move with the times (I guess) I hope they never forget human scale and that we will always need to see some sky from street level..

Have a happy weekend,
Val.




12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the excellent sightseeing - you do have a beautiful city :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rune. Tourists come from far away to see it. I only appreciated it's beauty after I went away and came back.

      Delete
  2. There are some fantastic buildings going up these days, and your photos show them in an interesting and striking way. Love your giant reflection in the building, but how did that happen?? Our daughter used to work in Macquarie bank years ago, so she will be interested in those pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. My reflection is actually in a big pane of glass in the building I was in with the other building's surface in the background. I'd seen a shot done like this at night in New York by a fellow photographer.. I can only wish ;) The Macquarie Bank is set up as a very interesting space. The internal stairway links all the common areas of the building for staff to eat, relax or even go to the cinema!

      Delete
  3. Love your king size reflection in the opposite skyscraper Val ☺ Are the three towers fairly new, quite near Darling Harbour? I think I saw them during construction when I was in Sydney last year, they've gone up fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace. The towers are new, shiny and very modern. The exterior walls are all designed to take advantage of 360 degree views and the inside feels far more people friendly than I thought it would. The flanges reduce glare. The whole district can be seen from the Rocks. There's also a very futuristic walkway from Wynyard station - I'll post photos of that later. Sydney is changing at a huge rate!

      Delete
  4. entire cities in a building! Todays world.

    Love your reflection in the building. So clear and crisp. Love the effect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Valerie & thanks for your visit & comments on my post!
    Your photos give someone like me from the other side of the world a fabulous view of Sydney & it's progress! Super reflections & fun selfie there too!
    Christineandhercamera

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you got through a lot of buildings in the short time. We only managed a few this year in Brissy.Sydney is a beautiful city but like you I hope they leave some sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics! Looks like a wonderful place to explore with a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! You're at least ten stories high! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the old Godzilla movies haha

      Delete