Friday, 13 January 2017

Tidal Pool Reflections


Yesterday I was still on holidays and it was too hot to stay in the city so I packed my beach things and a giant bottle of  half frozen water and headed south. I went a bit further than I usually go, to a little seaside town called Kiama. It is known for a natural rock formation through the volcanic rock called The Blowhole. When there's an incoming tide, a decent swell and the wind is blowing from the south east the sea erupts through it like a geyser. I've seen it spout in winter when there's a howling storm. But I'm rambling. I had a hankering to see the town again and indeed it still has a cute village feel to it. Touristy and arty enough to be interesting but not taken over with high rise apartments. I hope that never happens. I had a good time eating ice cream and looking through the artisan stores on the main street but my real aim was to take some underwater photos in the rock pools.



The non-blowing Blowhole and shadows along the fence


It's a scenic area, well frequented by travellers


I'd love to travel the coast in something like this..


Volcanic Latite cliffs


Daring fishermen


The Kiama rock  pool shrouded in sea spray

The rock pool above is the spot I thought would be good for a few underwater shots but it didn't yield anything but concrete blocks and barnacles. I really enjoyed the cool swim though. What did give me a world of riches were the little tidal pools further along. I scrambled around at the edge of the show etaking shots of a totally different world..









All this wonder, just below the surface..

Have a good weekend,
Val.





12 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures in the little rock pools, and what a good idea to go to Kiama to get away from the heat. We went there - only once - about 10 years ago, and the blowhole put on a fine show. Guess it depends on the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia, it was certainly cooler there and yes when the blowhole blows it's quite stunning.

      Delete
  2. Australia has a magnificent coast - You are lucky to have such a fantastic photo opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rune, yes I do have great opportunities and I'm going to keep sharing them.

      Delete
  3. Love those below-the-surface shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those eyes! Can't figure out what they're made out of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Kiama is a lovely spot. The underwater shots are beautiful , colourful and crisp. What camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little Olympyus TG4 which I bought because it is waterproof. I'm having great fun with it.

      Delete
  6. That's the fascination, it really is like a different world down there Val. Those fishermen really were 'daring' perched on the cliff, hope they caught something :)
    P.s. there are heaps of Paul Deej murals around Perth Val, I've shown a few before but many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are more murals to come. Re the fishermen 20 people drowned in NSW over the holiday season!

      Delete
  7. My first peek at your blog. Love the scenery and underwater shots. Inspired to pick up a waterproof camera myself. :)

    ReplyDelete