Thursday, 1 June 2017

Melbourne Reflections



Last weekend my DD and I went to Melbourne for a weekend of culture, sightseeing and shopping. Neither of us had explored Melbourne before and it did not disappoint. Sydney and Melbourne have an age old rivalry for the best capital city in Australia. Sydney is stunning and showy and sunny and brash. Melbourne has a quieter more genteel beauty but is beautiful nonetheless. The climate is cooler, the ambience more cultured, the people - dare I say it - better dressed. The National Gallery of Victoria is stunning with a complex on each side of the river.  There are other art galleries galore. I was in art exhibition heaven. The main reason I went to Melbourne was to see the Van Gogh 'seasons' exhibition and it was fabulous. But we also had some great meals, rode the free city tram, explored alleys and decided we liked Melbourne, especially for shopping! My daughter eclipsed me in that department. Good times. I did not manage to photograph the city at night, due to rain and tiredness, but I did get the big camera out for some early morning shots on the last day walking along the trendy Docklands down to the Webb Bridge. I enjoyed it immensely. Here are some reflections.












The Webb Bridge (last two shots) is apparently stunning at night and lit to showcase the structure as a work of art as well as a footbridge. I'll definitely be there at dusk next time I'm in Melbourne. Because there will be a next time..

Have a good weekend!
Val.


SaveSave

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The first two remind me of Afremov's artwork. What a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco. I had to google Afremov but I like his style and use of colour.

      Delete
  2. All cool reflection shots and you managed to get bikers, not an easy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanna. It was so early it was the cyclists, a few joggers and me!

      Delete
  3. Melbourne is a very nice city, and you seem to have used the photo opportunities very well. The blue hour photos along the Yarra river were very nice indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rune. I ventured out with a camera and an umbrella and came back an hour later in warm sunshine. Melbourne is famous for that!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Melbourne has it's own quiet beauty.

      Delete
  5. Nice shots especially with the wet streets. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks s.c. I love doing rainy street shots. I was lucky :)

      Delete
  6. very impressing pics from wet streets and the light of the beginning night! Like it! Greetings from eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. hey, thanks for visiting my blog on the other side of the earth! and I have to correct my yesterdays comment..." the light of the beginning day" sorry. Bye bye.

      Delete
    2. The 'blue hour' tends to look the same at both ends of the day..

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed seeing your photos! Melbourne looks like a fine city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved Melbourne when we were there a few years ago. I fear I may never get back, so it's nice to see it again on your blog. The reflections are just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are all great reflections...I especially like the cyclists!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a brilliant time Val. Melbourne and Sydney are super cities to be sure, but I'm sure you know what I'm going to say next..Perth is best 😀😀 Gorgeous reflections and the Webb bridge does absolutely look like an art installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing that Perth is stunning but it's so far away! I'd love to see it and then go further north in Western Australia - one day.

      Delete
  12. Gosh I missed this lovely post last weekend Val. I love Melbourne too, and it appears you had a wonderful time. What lovely reflective photos, and the Webb bridge is fascinating. I am sorry I will miss Van Gogh, as so many people I know are going, but I have high hopes for Dior later in the year :)

    ReplyDelete